kammbia1

World of Kammbia

I'm an avid reader and book review blogger that loves fiction: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Literary, and Christian. Here's my favorite quote about reading: “Every good book should be entertaining. A good book will be more; it must not be less. Entertainment….is like a qualifying examination. If a fiction can’t provide that, we may be excused from inquiry into its higher qualities.” (C.S. Lewis)

What Is The Book By A Popular Author That Surprised You In A Good Way?

I just posted this question on my blog and I want to share here.

Here's my answer:

I have a question: What is the book by a popular or well-known author that surprised you in a good way?

Bag of Bones by Stephen King is my answer to this question. For years, I had refused to read Stephen King. I don’t have a good reason why. I was a bookseller for several years in my 20′s and every time a new King novel was released I had decided in my mind not to read it.

A couple of years ago, I asked my readers to choose a novel for me to read and review in order to get me out of my comfort zone. You guessed it….Bag of Bones by Stephen King got the most votes.

Well, I had to hold up my end of the bargain and finally read a Stephen King novel. I must admit it was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised at King’s gifts as a storyteller and creating excellent characters.

Here's my review of Bag of Bones: http://marion-hill.com/book-review-22-stephen-kings-bag-of-bones/

What I have learned from this reading experience is to never prejudge a popular author until I have exactly read their work and stepping outside of one’s comfort zone helps to create a broader reader experience. And that’s what being a life-long reader is all about.

What is that book for you?

Marion